Friday, December 2, 2011

A Teacher's Current Reads...By: Mrs. Hall


I read everyday.
Some days I just read a text message.
Some days I read several texts, a recipe, and a magazine ad, and read over my lesson plans.
Then there are days when I am allowed to dive deep into reading that I absolutely love.  

Call me a nerd, but there is no greater reading than reading about what I love... and that is teaching!  Currently, I am re-reading, Reading with Meaning, by Debbie Miller and Growing Readers, by Kathy Collins.  Both books filled with research based ideas to build my Reader's and Writer's workshop mini lessons... One research based finding, found in Reading with Meaning (and in several other research based educational books), is that... "Proficient readers create visual and other sensory images from text during and after reading" (Pressley 1976).  After reading this, I came across several mini lesson ideas using Kathy Collin's book on visualizing while reading.  Making movies in our mind and jumping into a book is what all great readers do....  It just so happens that my class is full of great readers....

Please enjoy the images of my student's visualizations as they post.  Also, in this mix, will be a series of documentations that include what the students are touching, seeing, feeling, smelling, and hearing as they read...

No comments:

Post a Comment