Friday, October 11, 2013

A Small Moment By: Mrs. Hall

A sweet blessing from today.  So thankful for my students and their parents...

It was hot, and the smell was unpleasant.  My fifteen year old attitude was in full bloom.  Not to mention my comfort level amidst the scene of elderly sick people was at the point of alarm.  I felt very uncomfortable.  There I was, in the middle of Oklahoma, in a nursing home with my sweet aunt and grandma visiting my Aunt Mildred on her death bed.  The sound of beeping machinery and alarms were present filling my mind with forebodings of what I could witness that day.  From across the room my aunt mouthed the words “Go get your cd and sing to her”.  I couldn’t believe my aunt’s request.  Her face was something not to argue.  She was kind, but stubborn, and what she wanted, she got.  I nodded and walked out the doors and out into the Oklahoma air that hit me like a brick and got my cd.  I then walked back into the tension filled room…and began singing.  The music melted the tension and suddenly breathed life into my own reluctant spirit.  I’ll never for that day, that moment when I took my sweet Aunt Mildred to another place far from the dreariness of the present.

The posts to follow are of a moment  in time that stood out in my student's minds.  Some moments are really funny and some of them hit straight to the point and will leave you with a bit of understanding of their life.    Welcome to our class of "Small Moments"...

No comments:

Post a Comment